David Paulison Exceptional Student Scholarship
David Paulison is a nationally and internationally recognized leader in emergency and disaster response and recovery. After beginning his career as a firefighter, Mr. Paulison rose through ranks and become fire chief of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and oversaw Miami Dade’s Office of Emergency Management in 1992, the same year Hurricane Andrew devastated South Florida. After 30 years in the fire service, on September 20, 2001, President George W. Bush appointed Chief Paulison as the head of the U.S. Fire Administration. In 2003, President Bush appointed Chief Paulison to serve as the director of the newly created National Preparedness Division of the Emergency Preparedness & Response Directorate. This distinctly Department of Homeland Security Directorate was later made part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). In 2006, Chief Paulison was unanimously confirmed and sworn in as the first Under Secretary for FEMA and served as its administrator until 2009.
This scholarship will be awarded to a student demonstrating exceptional academic achievement and contributions to the community.
- The award is based on competitive merit and will be selected from applicants possessing a minimum GPA of 3.5 at the time of admission.
Student will be awarded $5,000 for the forthcoming academic year to be used for tuition. Award will disburse in the Fall and Spring.
Scholarship Application Documentation
The application for each scholarship must include the following documents:
- A cover page, which shall state the applicant’s name, email, contact phone number and the scholarship(s) you are applying for the Paul C. Bell, Major Phil May, and R. David Paulison scholarship;
- A copy of student’s unofficial undergraduate transcripts;
- A copy of your resume; and
- A typewritten essay of no more than three pages (double-spaced) describing the reasons that led him or her to seek a degree in disaster management at FIU and their professional aspirations.
Submit all applications materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Students may apply to one or more scholarship but will only qualify for one.
Application Due Date
Monday, July 15, 2019 at 5 PM (EST).
The award will be announced at the beginning of the cohort.