Florida International University (FIU) offers a 30-credit Master in Disaster Management through the Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work. The graduate degree program has been developed in response to the growing recognition and need for graduate level education in disaster management. Drawing on faculty from across FIU's nationally recognized colleges and programs as well as disaster practitioners with international and national preparedness and response disaster experience, the program's curriculum is interdisciplinary in nature and scope and designed to develop and improve the skills of disaster practitioners and those interested in entering the exciting field of disaster management. The graduate degree will be offered in an 11-month executive format culminating with a disaster field operations course whereby students will engage in a field simulated exercise focusing on the practical issues that arise in a disaster (rapid damage and public health assessment, shelter and site planning, field cluster sampling, water, sanitation and hygiene, personal security, food aid, and operational approaches to relations with the military).
The graduate degree program has been designed to be completed within a year and will cover national and international disaster management. Offered on the Modesto Maidique Campus (Saturdays only), students will be required to complete two courses every eight weeks until all coursework is completed. The graduate degree program consists of the following ten courses:
- Comparative Disaster Management Systems
- Disaster Preparedness and Planning Methodologies
- Disaster Response and Recovery
- Introduction to Vulnerability Analysis and Hazard Mitigation
- Crisis Communications
- Special Topics in Disaster Studies
- Foundations in Humanitarian Assistance and Coordination
- Disaster Health Readiness
- Environmental Disasters and Human Health
- Disaster Field Operations
For a description of the courses, please visit the Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work Catalog Course Descriptions.
As the second most affordable value-added graduate degree program offered through the University, tuition includes the cost for books, fees (health, parking, athletic, orientation and ID) and a disaster field simulation exercise.
Master of Arts in Disaster Management 2019-2020 Cohort Profile
- 27%African American
- 37Average Age
- 3.4Average GPA
- 3%Non-governmental Organization Employed
- 3%Emergency Management Employed
- 9%Fire Service Employed
- 12%Private Sector Employed
- 9%Law Enforcement Employed
- 3%Military Employed
- 49%Other Employed
- 85%have a bachelor's degree
- 15%have a master's degree
- 88%Currently Employed
- 48%FIU Alumni
- $76kAverage Annual Salary
The infographic profile below provides some information about our current cohort of students.