- Graduate Program
Florida International University (FIU) offers a 30-credit Master in Disaster Management through the Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work. The graduate degree program has been developed in response to the growing recognition and need for graduate level education in disaster management. Drawing on faculty from across FIU's nationally recognized colleges and programs as well as disaster practitioners with international and national preparedness and response disaster experience, the program's curriculum is interdisciplinary in nature and scope and designed to develop and improve the skills of disaster practitioners and those interested in entering the exciting field of disaster management. The graduate degree will be offered in an 11-month executive format culminating with a disaster field operations course whereby students will engage in a field simulated exercise focusing on the practical issues that arise in a disaster (rapid damage and public health assessment, shelter and site planning, field cluster sampling, water, sanitation and hygiene, personal security, food aid, and operational approaches to relations with the military).
The graduate degree program has been designed to be completed within a year and will cover national and international disaster management. Offered on the Modesto Maidique Campus (Saturdays only), students will be required to complete two courses every eight weeks until all coursework is completed. The graduate degree program consists of the following ten courses:
- FES 6846 Comparative Disaster Management Systems
- FES 6826 Disaster Preparedness and Planning Methodologies
- FES 6806 Disaster Response and Recovery
- FES 6857 Introduction to Vulnerability Analysis and Hazard Mitigation
- FES 6858 Crisis Communications
- SYG 6932 Special Topics in Disaster Studies
- FES 6847 Foundations in Humanitarian Assistance and Coordination
- FES 6848 Disaster Health Readiness
- PHC 6374 Environmental Disasters and Human Health
- FES 6805 Disaster Field Operations
As the second most affordable value-added graduate degree program offered through the University, tuition includes the cost for books, fees (health, parking, athletic, orientation and ID) and a disaster field simulation exercise.
The infograph profile below provides some information about our current cohort of students.